ASSIGNMENT TWO: PART FOUR

For my third and final card I decided to go with the pattern idea. I had already collected plenty of images for reference on a Pinterest Mood Board. 

As usual, though, due to my lack of illustration skills, I wasn’t quite sure what my drawings or paintings would look like, and so the first thing I did was some sketches. I then did some watercolour paintings.

sketchbook 2 assignment 2 p29

sketchbook 2 assignment 2 p30

For my critique, I presented these paintings along side my mood board, rather than creating a mock up. This is because creating a pattern mock up that looked remotely like what I now saw in my head would have been so much effort I might as well be making the real thing. And  a sketch of the pattern would have looked completely different to watercolour paintings.

CRITIQUE

MOOD BOARD (presented along side the paintings above)

Assignement 2 Mood Board 5 rgb.jpg

Credits (clockwise from top left): 1) Unknown (via carolinedailyparis.tumblr) 2) Irene Florentina (behance.net/90six) 3) Wallpaper from zedge.net 4) ElizabethOlwen.com

RATIONALE

This card is designed to appeal to those who have learned to swim at a later stage of life. It will feature a repeat pattern and have no message on the outside of the card. The message inside will congratulate the recipient on learning to swim. It will have a holiday, pool-side vibe. This card will be gender neutral but anticipate this card will appeal to those people buying for women aged 30+.

FEEDBACK

  • clear colour scheme
  • mood board really does create a mood
  • what does the inside of the card look like?

As with my other cards, a big request was to see the inside of the card. I think I find this tricky because I’m trying to work out exactly how much work to put into a critique. If i’m choosing the typeface and the phrase inside, I am essentially designing it for real. And as I mentioned, if I had created a mock pattern, it would have been the real thing. But when I don’t complete the inside, people want to know what the inside looks like.

 


I have made a number of patters using illustrator before, using a technique I learned from a tutorial on Skillshare. Essentially it involves taking your motifs and arranging them along the left side and top of a square tile. You then duplicate these so that they are the same on the right side and bottom of the square. You can then fill in the remaining space with your motifs. You duplicate the tile, making sure the new one has no stroke and no fill. You  select all of your art work and drag it to the swatches panel and this creates your pattern.

There are other ways to create patterns, and I have forgotten why this techniques has advantages over others. I do know that it has always worked well for me.

Before creating my pattern I removed the backgrounds from the paintings in Photoshop and adjusted the levels slightly so that the colours were more harmonious. I then used image trace to vectorise them in Illustrator.

I played around with the scaling of the pattern.

sketchbook assignment 2 p32.jpg

For the inside I once again experimented with various weights of Acumin Pro Extra Condensed.

sketchbook 2 assignment 2 p33

I’m really pleased with how this pattern turned out. In an ideal world I would have experimented more with the motifs themselves, however, I was under time constraints and I know how much time I have wasted tweaking things in the past. There is defintely too much negative space, but the lack of motifs meant that trying to fill the space led to too much repetition. I did not have time to go back to the painting stage and create more motifs.

When I printed the mock up on my home printer, I was impressed with results in spite of the space. Due to time, I did not paint a women’s bathing suit. I think that this is a good thing as it makes the card more gender neutral in spite of the card being pink (which unfortunately, many people still associate with women).

When I sent this card to the printer the image bled onto the back of the card. I knew this would happen, as they said it was the only way to ensure the image doesn’t end before the card fold. However, seeing it there made me realise that this card would have been much better had the pattern also filled the back of the card. It was to late to do this and send to the printer, but I would like to create a digital version to see what it would have looked like.

Final artwork sent to printer (click to enlarge):

CLICK HERE FOR PART FIVE

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s